As you may have heard in the news, car thefts are up, in some parts of the country.* Authorities are attributing the increase to a new social media challenge that encourages teens and young adults to break into certain vehicles and steal them.*
So how can you protect yourself from becoming a victim of car theft amid this new social media trend? Secure your car and take preventive measures to keep your car safe. Here are some suggestions to help keep your car safe;
• Invest in a lock for your steering wheel
• Lock doors and take your keys
• Don’t leave a spare key in your car
• Keep valuables out of sight
• If you have a USB wire or a charger in your car, hide it or take it with you (as criminals might use USB wires to jump-start vehicles)
• Close windows
• Park in well-lit areas
• Park in secure locations
• Install alarm system and anti-theft device
• Install vehicle immobilizer system and/or tracking system
We hope you find the above tips useful. If you have questions, feel free to contact our agency
*CNBC, “Challenge Spurs Rise in Theft…”, September 9, 2022.
travelers.com The Travelers Indemnity Company and its property casualty affiliates. One Tower Square, Hartford, CT 06183 © 2022 The Travelers Indemnity Company. All rights reserved. Travelers and the Travelers Umbrella logo are registered trademarks of The Travelers Indemnity Company in the U.S. and other countries. PL-19369 New 9-22.