Thanksgiving is right around the corner and is shaping up to be a busy travel day, with a projected 46.3 million Americans celebrating with a road trip. Travelers will appreciate the lowest Thanksgiving gas prices in over five years (gas is averaging around $2.85 a gallon; 43 cents lower than the average Thanksgiving gas price,) and because of this, roads are likely to be congested from Wednesday, November 26th until Sunday, November 30th.
Whether you’re heading to see family or driving to a favorite vacation spot with friends, Starke Insurance Agency has some helpful tips that will hopefully make your drive trouble-free, so you can arrive at your chosen destination safely.
1. Plan Ahead: Before leaving the house, be sure to check the weather and road conditions, in order to pre-plan your route, using sources like Traffic.com. By using the app; text message alerts or website, drivers are able to get the most up-to-date information on traffic and road conditions.
2. Perform basic car maintenance: Check your tires, transmission fluid, brakes and coolant system to ensure that your vehicle is in tip-top shape for your road trip. Even if you’re just traveling across town, a well-maintained vehicle is key to avoid an automobile mis-hap.
3. Consider leaving on an off day: The heaviest Thanksgiving traffic occurs the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and the weekend afterward, so consider leaving on Tuesday before Thanksgiving and returning the following Monday, if you’re schedule allows.
4. Brush up on winter driving skills: November isn’t known for the harshest winter weather but rain, sleet and frost are serious possibilities this time of year. Brush up on winter driving tips by using resources like AAA Exchange.
5. Use caution when traveling with pets: Secure your fury friends, either with harnesses and seat belts or by placing them in a crate. Animals can be a dangerous distraction when driving and physical threat in an accident.
If you have any questions about car insurance or travel safety tips, give one of the Starke agents a call at 334-263-5535.
From all of us here at Starke Insurance, we wish you a safe and happy Thanksgiving!